Most of the “best books” list that come out at the end of a year refer to books published during that year. My list, however, comprises books that I have read during the year, regardless of when they were published. My list also combines fiction and nonfiction.
I finished my dissertation mid-year and read 30 books during 2011. Here are the best of them, arranged alphabetically by author:
- Collins, Suzanne. The Hunger Games
- Connelly, Michael. The Fifth Witness
- Donoghue, Emma. Room
- Egan, Jennifer. A Visit from the Goon Squad
- Harbach, Chad. The Art of Fielding
- Hillenbrand, Laura. Unbroken
- Hoffman, Alice. The Story Sisters
- McLain, Paula. The Paris Wife
- Shapiro, Alison Bonds. Healing into Possibility
- Watson, S. J. Before I Go to Sleep
My lists for previous years (1996-2010) are here.