It’s time for another Classics Club Spin!
Here’s how it works: I post a numbered list of 20 titles from my Classics Club list. On Sunday, April 19 the Classics Club curators will post a number from 1 through 20. I then have to read whatever title has that number on my list by June 1, 2020.
Here’s my list:
- Connell, Evan S. Mr. Bridge
- Jackson, Shirley. Just an Ordinary Day: Stories
- Highsmith, Patricia. The Tremor of Forgery
- Cather, Willa. O Pioneers!
- Dostoevsky, Fyodor. Crime and Punishment
- Faulkner, William. Absalom, Absalom!
- McEwan, Ian. Atonement
- Nabokov, Vladimir. Pale Fire
- Hardy, Thomas. Far From the Madding Crowd
- Agee, James. A Death in the Family
- Vonnegut, Kurt. Cat’s Cradle
- Rendell, Ruth. The Crocodile Bird
- Baker, Nicholson. The Mezzanine
- Jewett, Sarah Orne. The Country of the Pointed Firs
- Howard, Elizabeth Jane. The Long View
- Tevis, Walter. The Man Who Fell to Earth
- Piercy, Marge. Woman on the Edge of Time
- James, Henry. The Beast in the Jungle
- Fowles, John. The French Lieutenant’s Woman
- Wharton, Edith. Ghost Stories
I’m excited to find out which of these books I’ll be reading.
And the winner is . . .
#6, so I’ll be reading Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner for the June 1 deadline.
To be honest, this is not one I would have chosen on my own. But I’ve been reading indulgently during the COVID-19 shutdown, so maybe it’s time, finally, to stretch a bit.
© 2020 by Mary Daniels Brown