Now that 2009 is officially over, I can decide which of the 50 books (exclusive of textbooks) I read this year were my favorites. All the published lists of best books of the year refer only to books published during that year, but my list is of the books I read this year, regardless of when they were published.
Here they are, listed alphabetically by author:
- Corrigan, Kelly. The Middle Place
- Didion, Joan. Slouching Towards Bethlehem
- Friedan, Betty. The Feminine Mystique
- Genova, Lisa. Still Alice
- Hoffman, Alice. The Story Sisters
- Larsson, Stieg. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- O’Connell, Carol. Bone by Bone
- Sarton, May. Journal of a Solitude
- Stockett, Kathryn. The Help
- Zaslow, Jeffrey. The Girls from Ames
- Shaffer, Mary Ann & Annie Barrows. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
- Strout, Elizabeth. Olive Kitteridge
- Woolf, Virginia. A Room of One’s Own
Best wishes to everyone for a Happy New Year and a productive year of reading good books!