It’s time for another Classics Club Spin, #22.
Here’s how it works: I post a numbered list of 20 titles from my Classics Club list. On December 22 the Classics Club curators will post a number from 1 through 20. I then have to read whatever title has that number on my list by January 31, 2020.
Every year I have very good intentions of reading several selections from my Classics Club list, but, to tell the truth, I usually don’t remember to consult that list when I pick up my next book to read. Therefore, these periodic Spins help me stay on track to read at least a few of those books during any given year.
Here, then, is my list for Spin #22:
- Jackson, Shirley. Just an Ordinary Day: Stories
- Highsmith, Patricia. The Tremor of Forgery
- Fowles, John. The French Lieutenant’s Woman
- Cather, Willa. O Pioneers!
- Dostoevsky, Fyodor. Crime and Punishment
- McEwan, Ian. Atonement
- Rendell, Ruth. The Crocodile Bird
- Nabokov, Vladimir. Pale Fire
- Agee, James. A Death in the Family
- Vonnegut, Kurt. Cat’s Cradle
- Baker, Nicholson. The Mezzanine
- Howard, Elizabeth Jane. The Long View
- Brookner, Anita. Hotel Du Lac
- Piercy, Marge. Woman on the Edge of Time
- Faulkner, William. Absalom, Absalom!
- Connell, Evan S. Mr. Bridge
- James, Henry. The Beast in the Jungle
- Wharton, Edith. Ghost Stories
- Jewett, Sarah Orne. The Country of the Pointed Firs
- Hardy, Thomas. Far From the Madding Crowd
And now, I eagerly anticipate December 22.
And the winner is . . . lucky #13. So I will be reading Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner.