This will be my first time participating in the Classics Club Spin.
Here are the directions for spin #8:
At your blog, by next Monday, November 10, list your choice of any twenty books you’ve left to read from your Classics Club list – in a separate post.
This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books in November & December. (Details follow.) So, try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five Classics Club books you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
Next Monday, we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by January 5, 2015.
I can’t see setting myself up for failure by including here any of my list’s huge books like Atlas Shrugged, The Golden Notebook, or Ulysses. I know I need to save those until I have a large chunk of time to devote to doing them right, and I will not have that kind of time between now and January 5.
So here is my list for the spin:
- Adams, Richard. Watership Down
- Masters, Edgar Lee. Spoon River Anthology (1915)
- Agee, James. A Death in the Family
- Steinbeck, John. Of Mice and Men
- Cather, Willa. O Pioneers!
- Smith, Dodie. I Capture the Castle (1948)
- Dostoevsky, Fyodor. Crime and Punishment
- Williams, Tennessee. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
- Fowles, John. The French Lieutenant’s Woman
- Rhys, Jean. Wide Sargasso Sea
- Styron, William. Darkness Visible (1990)
- Hardy, Thomas. Far From the Madding Crowd
- Yates, Richard. Revolutionary Road (1961)
- O’Neill, Eugene. The Iceman Cometh
- James, Henry. The Beast in the Jungle
- Pym, Barbara. Excellent Women
- Lewis, Sinclair. Babbit
- Woolf, Virginia. Mrs. Dalloway
- Wilson, Sloan. The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (1955)
- Nabokov, Vladimir. Pnin
Update: We Have a Winner!
It’s lucky #13!
I’m the lucky one. I get to read Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates by January 5.